The Interview
I had prepared for the interview for two weeks.
我为那次面试准备了两个星期。
I had written answers to every question I could imagine.
我把能想到的每一个问题都写了答案。
I knew the company's history, its products and its plans.
我知道这家公司的历史、产品和计划。
On the morning of the interview I arrived thirty minutes early.
面试那天早上我提前三十分钟到了。
The first questions were exactly the ones I had prepared.
前面的问题正好是我准备过的。
I answered them smoothly, perhaps too smoothly.
我回答得很流利,也许太流利了。
Then the interviewer put down her pen and asked something different.
然后面试官放下笔,问了一个不一样的问题。
"Tell me about a time you were completely wrong about something."
“说一件你完全搞错了的事。”
I had not prepared for that at all.
这个我完全没有准备。
For a few seconds I said nothing, and then I told her the truth.
有几秒钟我什么也没说,然后我说了实话。
I described a project I had led that failed, and what I had learned from it.
我讲了我带过的一个失败的项目,还有我从中学到的东西。
She smiled and wrote something down.
她笑了,记了点东西。
Two days later they offered me the job.
两天以后他们录用了我。
Later my manager told me that everyone answers the prepared questions well.
后来我的经理告诉我,准备过的问题人人都答得好。