The Phone That Never Rang
My brother and I stopped speaking after an argument about money.
我和我哥哥因为钱吵了一架,之后就不说话了。
The argument itself lasted about ten minutes.
那次吵架本身大概只有十分钟。
The silence lasted three years.
沉默持续了三年。
At first I was angry, and being angry was easy.
一开始我很生气,生气很容易。
After a year I was not angry any more, but I still did not call.
一年以后我不生气了,可是还是没有打电话。
The longer you wait, the harder it becomes to make the first move.
你等得越久,主动就越难。
I thought about him at every birthday and every holiday.
每个生日、每个节日我都会想到他。
Twice I found his number and put the phone down again.
有两次我找到了他的号码,又把电话放下了。
Then one evening in October my phone rang, and it was him.
然后十月的一个晚上,我的电话响了,是他。
I looked at the screen for four or five seconds before I answered.
我看着屏幕看了四五秒才接。
Neither of us mentioned the argument.
我们谁也没有提那次吵架。
He asked about my job and I asked about his daughter.
他问我的工作,我问他女儿。
We talked for forty minutes about nothing important.
我们聊了四十分钟,都是些不重要的事。
Before he hung up he said, "I should have called earlier." I said, "So should I."
挂电话前他说:“我早就该打的。”我说:“我也是。”