A Week Without a Phone
Last summer my phone fell into the sea.
去年夏天,我的手机掉进了海里。
I was on holiday, and the nearest shop was two hours away.
我当时在度假,最近的商店要两个小时车程。
I decided to wait until I got home.
我决定等回家再说。
The first day was genuinely uncomfortable.
第一天真的很难受。
My hand kept reaching for a pocket that was empty.
我的手不停地伸向那个空口袋。
I counted: I reached for it about forty times.
我数了一下:大概伸了四十次。
On the second day I got bored, and being bored was strange.
第二天我觉得无聊,而无聊这件事很陌生。
I could not remember the last time I had been bored.
我想不起上一次觉得无聊是什么时候。
On the third day I started noticing things.
第三天我开始注意到一些东西。
The sound of the sea is different in the morning and the evening.
海的声音早上和晚上不一样。
My friend has a habit of touching her ear when she is thinking.
我朋友思考的时候有摸耳朵的习惯。
I had known her for six years and had never seen it.
我认识她六年了,从来没有注意过。
By the seventh day I did not want to fix the phone.
到第七天,我不想去修手机了。
I did fix it, of course. But now I leave it in another room in the evening.
当然我最后还是修了。不过现在晚上我会把它放在另一个房间。