The Cost of Cheap
Five years ago I decided to spend as little money as possible.
五年前,我决定尽量少花钱。
I bought the cheapest version of everything.
我什么都买最便宜的。
The first pair of shoes cost fifteen pounds.
第一双鞋十五英镑。
They lasted four months before the sole came off.
穿了四个月,鞋底就掉了。
I bought the same shoes again, because they were cheap.
我又买了同样的鞋,因为便宜。
Over two years I bought four pairs.
两年里我买了四双。
That was sixty pounds, and none of them was comfortable.
一共六十英镑,而且没有一双是舒服的。
Then a friend told me about a shoemaker in his town.
后来一个朋友跟我说了他们镇上的一个鞋匠。
The shoes cost ninety pounds, which felt like a lot of money.
那双鞋九十英镑,感觉是很多钱。
I still wear them today, three years later.
三年后的今天我还在穿。
They have been repaired once, for twelve pounds.
修过一次,十二英镑。
I am not saying expensive things are always better.
我不是说贵的东西一定好。
Plenty of expensive things are simply expensive.
很多贵的东西只是贵而已。
But buying the cheapest thing four times is not saving money.
但是把最便宜的东西买四次,并不是省钱。