换工作
三年前,我做了一个让所有人都反对的决定。
Three years ago I made a decision everybody was against.
那时候我在一家大公司工作,收入不错,工作也很稳定。
At the time I worked for a big company with a decent salary and a stable job.
可是我每天早上醒来,都不想去上班。
But every morning I woke up not wanting to go in.
我做的事情和我喜欢的事情,一点关系都没有。
What I did had nothing whatever to do with what I cared about.
我把辞职的想法告诉家里的时候,爸爸非常生气。
When I told my family I was thinking of resigning, my father was furious.
他说:“多少人想进这样的公司都进不去。”
He said, "Plenty of people would give anything to get into a company like that."
我知道他是为我好,可是我还是辞职了。
I knew he meant well, but I resigned anyway.
新工作的收入只有原来的一半。
The new job paid half what the old one had.
最难的是第一年,我几乎每个月都在担心钱的问题。
The first year was the hardest — I worried about money almost every month.
有好几次,我差点儿就放弃了。
There were several times I nearly gave up.
不过我从来没有后悔过。
But I have never regretted it.
因为我第一次觉得,我做的事情是有意义的。
Because for the first time, what I was doing felt like it meant something.
去年爸爸来看我工作的地方。
Last year my father came to see where I work.
他看了很久,最后只说了一句:“你比以前爱笑了。”
He looked around for a long time and in the end said only, "You smile more than you used to."