一个误会
我和小林是十年的朋友。
Xiaolin and I had been friends for ten years.
去年我们差点儿因为一件小事不再来往。
Last year we nearly stopped speaking over something trivial.
事情是这样的。
It happened like this.
那天我在群里看到一条消息,说我做事不认真。
That day I saw a message in a group chat saying I didn't take my work seriously.
发消息的人用的是小林的名字。
The name on the message was Xiaolin's.
我当时非常生气,直接把她的微信删了。
I was furious and deleted her from WeChat there and then.
她给我打电话,我没接。
She rang me and I didn't pick up.
三个月过去了,我们一句话也没说过。
Three months went by without a word between us.
后来有一天,另一个朋友告诉我:那天小林的手机被弟弟拿去玩了。
Then one day another friend told me that Xiaolin's phone had been taken by her younger brother that day.
那条消息是她十四岁的弟弟发的,本来是开玩笑。
The message had been sent by her fourteen-year-old brother, as a joke.
我听完以后,坐在那里很长时间说不出话。
After I heard that I sat there for a long time unable to speak.
我很后悔,也很不好意思。
I was full of regret, and ashamed.
那天晚上,我给她发了一条很长的消息,向她道歉。
That night I sent her a long message apologising.
她只回了四个字:“早就没事了。”
She replied with four words: "It was fine long ago."
从那以后,我学会了一件事:先问清楚,再生气。
Since then I've learned one thing: find out first, get angry afterwards.