迷路
去年冬天,我在一个陌生的城市迷路了。
Last winter I got lost in a city I didn't know.
那天晚上很冷,天已经黑了。
That evening was cold, and it was already dark.
我的手机没电了,也没有地图。
My phone was dead and I had no map.
我在同一条街上走了三遍,才发现自己一直在转圈。
I'd walked down the same street three times before I realised I was going in circles.
街上几乎没有人。
There was almost nobody about.
后来我看见一个老人在路口卖红薯。
Then I saw an old man selling sweet potatoes on the corner.
我走过去问他:“请问,火车站怎么走?”
I went over and asked, "Excuse me, how do I get to the station?"
他说:“很远,你一直往前走,到第二个路口往左拐。”
He said, "It's a long way. Go straight on and turn left at the second junction."
我谢了他,正要走,他叫住了我。
I thanked him and was about to go when he called me back.
他给了我一个热红薯,说:“拿着,路上冷。”
He handed me a hot sweet potato and said, "Take it — it's cold out there."
我给他钱,他不要。
I offered him money; he wouldn't take it.
那天晚上我找到了火车站。可是我一直记得的,是那个红薯。
I found the station that night. But what I've remembered ever since is the sweet potato.